Orange-Glazed Fresh Raspberry Muffins
The first place winner of the Fruit Category in the 2011 Homegrown Recipe Contest enters from Palm Beach, Florida. Lisa is an avid Strawberry grower and is looking forward to trying her hand at cultivating raspberries this year in her garden. The head of the Holland Bulb Farms Technical Support Department baked these muffins at home and brought them to a meeting last week…the recipe must’ve been easy enough to understand if a young bachelor could bake them so well! (sorry, Nick :))
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. fine sea salt
3/4 c. milk
1/4 c. heavy cream
2 large eggs
1 1/2 t. orange zest
1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/4 c. fresh rapsberries
1 c. packed lit. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. confectioner’s sugar, sifted (plus more if needed)
3 T. fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375º. Line 16 standard muffin tin cups with paper liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl; whisk well.
- Combine milk, cream, egg, and orange zest in a separate bowl and whisk well.
- Add milk mix with butter to flour mixture and stir until dry ingredients are barely moist.
- Add raspberries and brown sugar and stir gently until incorporated.
- Scoop batter into prepared baking cups; bake about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in a pan 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool for approximately 10 minutes before glazing.
- Combine confectioner’s sugar and orange juice for glaze in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Mixutre will be somewhat thick. If it appears too thin, add additional sugar until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Spoon glaze over muffins and allow them to cool completely. Makes 16 muffins.
These muffins were SO delicious, I think they may become a staple at the Holland Bulb Farms monthly meetings! So get out your whisk and your oven mits, and give this recipe a try this weekend. Perhaps you maybe even want to try growing raspberries yourself this year??!