Springtime Asparagus Pizza
Our second place winner in the Vegetables Category submits her recipe from Columbia, South Carolina. She is currently waiting for her asparagus crowns to mature so that she can begin to harvest them out of her own garden! Perhaps you could do the same 🙂
1 Lemon, thinly sliced and seeded
2 c. water
2 T. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, divided
1 c. minced asparagus tips and pieces
12″ refrigerated thin pizza crust
1 c. grated mozzarella cheese
8 slices prosciutto, torn into bite-size pieces
8 slices brie cheese
1 T. olive oil
1T. balsamic vinegar
1/2 c. fresh arugula, torn into bite-sized pieces
- In a small saucepan, combine lemon sliced and water. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes. Drain well.
- In a skillet, saute garlic in 2 t. olive oil until soft. Add asparagus pieces and cook, stirring occasionally until tender (about 2 minutes).
- Heat over to 450° F and place pizza crust on a lightly oiled baking sheet or pizza stone. Spread lemon slices evenly over crust and then sprinkle with mozzarella. Spread asparagus and prosciutto evenly over mozzarella. Top with brie slices. Sprinkle with 1 t. olive oil. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Toss arugula leaves with remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Remove pizza from oven and top with arugula. Serves 4.
The taste of this pizza is beyond explanation! Your kitchen will transform into a gourmet bistro when you serve this treat! Mary was extremely excited to win and says she has no idea how she will ever decide what to spend her $50.00 Holland Bulb Farms gift card on 🙂 Good luck, Mary. Sounds like a great problem to have!
Until next time,